T5 Transmission Fluid Type

Automatic transmissions use a special type of oil called automatic transmission fluid or atf. This fluid has a number of duties in the transmission including lubrication cooling and clutch application.

Volvo S80 Transmission Fluid Drain Amp Fill

Volvo S80 Transmission Fluid Drain Amp Fill

T5 transmission fluid type. The transmission is quite light with reported weights being between 70 to 75 pounds. The t5 is the longest running five speed overdrive standard shift transmission spanning more than 30 years of production. The t5 transmission was a 5 speed manual transmission that was first produced in 1980 by borg warner. The transmission fluid capacity of the t5 is 28 quarts. Lubricants are specified to provide the longest service life of the gear box as a system. The lubricant required for wc t5s is automatic transmission fluid atf.

The most important feature of any lubricating fluid is the viscosity. Most t5 transmission models use dexron ii automatic transmission fluid. While there are numerous configurations of the t5 because of the large quantities of t5s produced many parts are interchangeable. Some significant modifications were available beginning around 1985 as the transmission made the transition from the non world class to the world class model. Aod approx 12 qts including torque converter approx 5qts pan and filter service only atf fluid. Oil type for t5 transmission those are factory recommendations but even the factory changed their minds in the mid late 80s and began using atf in nwc.

Wc t5s were introduced in the 1985 ford model year and 1987 chevy model year. My understanding is that the non world class t 5 use 70 wt gear oil because of a gear difference and bronze syncros but that the world class t 5s use atf fluid. Do not use gear oil in the t5 transmission since this may damage the blocking ring material. I use synthetic atf in all my t5s now and have had no issues wc or nwc. Refer the vehicle owners manual or service manual for lubricant specifications. They both take a bit under 3 qts.

The t 5s all came with a tag that ids the trans. Fox body mustang transmission fluid capacity. T5 approx 28qts syncromesh fluid. A4ld approx 95 qts including torque converter approx 3qtys pan and filter service only atf fluid. The wc t 5 came out in about 85 i think so your 84 may be a non wc. Caution do not mix different bands or types of transmission lubricant.

Atf even provides the connection between the engine and transmission through a hydraulic coupling called a torque converter.

Gallery of T5 Transmission Fluid Type

1998 V70 Should I Change Transmission Fluid
Download Now
1998 V70 Should I Change Transmission Fluid
99 04 Mustang Transmission Fluid Change Did It Myself
Download Now
99 04 Mustang Transmission Fluid Change Did It Myself
Automatic Transmission Fluid 1 Quart Idemitsu 30040093
Download Now
Automatic Transmission Fluid 1 Quart Idemitsu 30040093
Mustang Ford Racing T5 Transmission M 7003 Z World Class Heavy Duty T 5 T5z
Download Now
Mustang Ford Racing T5 Transmission M 7003 Z World Class Heavy Duty T 5 T5z
T5 Transmission Rebuild Lugnutz65chevystepside
Download Now
T5 Transmission Rebuild Lugnutz65chevystepside
Amazon Com Volvo 2000 Automatic Transmission Fluid 1 Liter
Download Now
Amazon Com Volvo 2000 Automatic Transmission Fluid 1 Liter
Ls1 To T5 And Tailhousing Swap
Download Now
Ls1 To T5 And Tailhousing Swap
Ford T5 Transmission Main Case Mustang World Class With 068 Cluster V8
Download Now
Ford T5 Transmission Main Case Mustang World Class With 068 Cluster V8
Gear Oil 101 Which Lube Is Right For Your Manual
Download Now
Gear Oil 101 Which Lube Is Right For Your Manual
Volvo Xc60 T5 Sport Utility 2 5l L5 Automatic Transmission Fluid 1 Liter Volvo Approval Jws 3324
Download Now
Volvo Xc60 T5 Sport Utility 2 5l L5 Automatic Transmission Fluid 1 Liter Volvo Approval Jws 3324
T5 Faq Everything We Know About The T5 Third Generation F
Download Now
T5 Faq Everything We Know About The T5 Third Generation F
How To 2012 Volvo S60 T5 Transmission Fluid Flush Tf 80sc
Download Now
How To 2012 Volvo S60 T5 Transmission Fluid Flush Tf 80sc
How To Choose The Correct Transmission Fluid
Download Now
How To Choose The Correct Transmission Fluid
Www Aaronreedbaker Com T5 Swap
Download Now
Www Aaronreedbaker Com T5 Swap